November 25, 2006

example

What happens when you turn a song into a monologue?

Baby, I know I sent you packin' but…I want you back. Livin' without you ain't no livin' at all. You know that ain’t easy for me to say. I miss your naggin', I miss hearing you gossip with your Mama on the phone. Baby, you know I didn’t mean to crash that coffee cup up against the bedroom wall. Without you here cryin’ and cussin’, I pace the kitchen every mornin', up til’ midnight walkin' the floor. Home ain't home anymore. Come on, honey, come home and spend my money. Come back, honey. I’ll let you take a swing at me. I only told Bobby how I sent you runnin' cause you didn't do me right but if you’d come back nobody else’d have to know. You could do me wrong. So come on, honey. Come home. Spend my money. Come back, honey, take a swing at me. Come back, come back, mama, come back.

It changes the whole tone of the song to remove the line breaks and turn it into a monologue. Changes the playfulness of the song into a rather menacing, pathetic character when you simply change the format of the piece.

What happened in your exercise?

No comments:

Post a Comment