December 27, 2006

letting go

Maybe it's the let down from the holidays or maybe it's a crash after eating too many sweets for the past week but my thoughts today turn to the third "goal" of our month: Let Go.

I have an old leather chair that I inherited when my father died almost 16 years ago. It's outrageously heavy and I've been toting this chair from one side of the country to the other when it is too big to even fit in the apartments where I lived in NY and LA.

But I've held on to the chair because it has so much history, because it feels like a connection to family, because it feels like a connection to the past. And those three things are the EXACT reason why I should instead LET IT GO.

TODAY'S CREATIVITY CHALLENGE:

Look around your house, your work space, your apartment, your room. The things that surround you, the people in your life - is there something (doesn't have to be furniture!) or someone that you are hanging on to when your gut is telling you it is time to let it go?

Is it time for a trip to the Goodwill donation bin? Is it time to clear off that desk and get it organized for the new year? Is it time to swap out hand-me-downs for chosen pieces?

The things that surround you, the people that surround you - are they part of your future or your past?

No comments:

Post a Comment