December 10, 2006

the religion of intention

Two or three nights ago, I couldn't fall asleep and I stayed up watching the local PBS pledge drive that featured psychologist Wayne Dyer speaking about the power of intention. It was a four hour telethon so, eventually, I fell asleep. But I Tivo'd the program so I could hear the rest of what he had to say.

Watching the program the next day with my man, J.W. reading at my side, Mr. Dyer was pacing back and forth and had chosen a white, round Chinese lantern to symbolize "The Source" or God and physically returned to it over and over again to show that we need to return to this infinite source of wisdom.

J.W. said nothing for an hour and then finally chortled, "we'd better get one of those paper globes fast."

We are both EXTREMELY practical people (despite the fact that we have lived totally impractical lives) and I have to admit that I avoid New Age remedies like the plague. Mostly, because I hate the stink of "guru-ism" which I feel leads to manipulation and less self-awareness. (Not that I'm suggesting Mr. Dyer is striving to be a guru.) But I do think, there are things we can "steal" from all religions - New Age or Old School (does that make me a sinner?) in order to fully connect with the creative spirit inside each of us.

TODAY'S CREATIVITY CHALLENGE:

Read the article Seven Secrets of a Joyful Life. Wayne Dyer’s Feel Good Guide excerpted from Family Circle Magazine by Glenn Paskin at http://www.drwaynedyer.com/articles/seven_secrets.php

Is there anything helpful about this article for you? Have you examined how the religion of your childhood influences your creativity? Are you writing about spirituality? Do you feel your artistic life is in any way hampered or supported by your spiritual beliefs?

How do you relate to the creative energy that inspires you? Do you consider it a spiritual force, a scientific fact, an inexplicable feeling? Do you feel that you are in control of your creativity or do you feel that your creativity is in control of you?

I'd love to hear the answers to these questions. Please respond in the comments section or if you're having trouble with the comments section or prefer to be posted in the blog, you can email to me and I'll post for you: abramsclient_sj@verizon.net

No comments:

Post a Comment