March 23, 2007

life is art is life

“Deliver me from writers who say the way they live doesn't matter.”
Alice Walker


In the past few days you have identified some recurring themes or symbols and sought out possible interpretations of those symbols. Do you recognize any of these symbols, themes in your creative work?

You’ve also interpreted a dream in detail. Does that interpretation relate to any of your creative work? When you receive feedback or criticism of your work does it sound anything like those interpretations? Are the two related? Just as you identified the recurring themes in your dreams, I want you to now turn that detective vision onto your creative work.

I dream often of pools, swimming in them, being able to breathe underwater, etc. My most recent two plays no, make that two plays and a screenplay have scenes in pools! In my work, the pools represent rivers, bayous and hotel spas but they also represent baptism, resurrection, cleansing and loneliness. Maybe I need to apply my understanding of the larger symbolism from my plays to my dreams. Maybe the reverse is true for you.

TODAY’S CREATIVITY CHALLENGE:

Pick only two or three pieces from your body of creation. Maybe it’s a series of plays done over several years. Maybe it’s a recent series of sketches that are not yet finished. Maybe it’s the lyrics to songs you haven’t sung in fifteen years. Maybe it’s a series of gardens you’ve grown season after season. Think about your body of work and expand your understanding of “work” to include what you have created in your life. Your home, your friends, your children, your cooking.

Don’t overwhelm yourself. Remember, I said above “Pick only two or three pieces from your body of creation.”

Now answer this question:

What are the similarities between the way you live, the work you create and the dreams you have?

No comments:

Post a Comment