THE FESTIVALL CHARLESTON 2009 CAPITOL STREET ART FAIR
Charleston Mayor Danny Jones and Executive Director Larry Groce invite you to apply for the fifth annual FestivALL Capitol Street Art Fair. The Fair will take place on Saturday, June 27, 2009, from 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. and Sunday, June 28, 2009, from 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
FestivALL will take place for a total of ten days, beginning on June 19, 2009. Events will include the Smoke on the Water Chili Cook-off, the Mayor’s Concert, the Fund for the Arts’ Blues, Brews & BBQ and Wine & All That Jazz, Mountain Stage, and performances involving theater, music, and dance, plus other visual arts and special events.
There will be local and regional marketing of FestivALL and events listings via website, rack cards, posters, fliers, billboards, print ads, radio and television commercials, and other promotions. This year the artisans who are juried into the Art Fair in March will be included in the printed schedules.
For the 2009 Art Fair all artisans are required to go through a formal jurying process in order to maintain a high level of quality and achieve a balanced mix of media for the Fair. The necessary information is enclosed with this letter. We welcome applications from artisans from across West Virginia and outside of the state, including emerging artisans.
Artisan evaluations of the 2008 Fair provided both positive feedback and suggestions for improvements. Based on these evaluations a number of changes are being made for 2009. These include:
• We have contracted with one supplier for all tents.
• The basic booth space is being increased from 8’ to 10’. Tents are being moved further away from the stages and fewer tents will be used between Lee and Washington Streets. All cars will be kept from parking on this block.
• A limited number of individual 10’ x 10’ tents will be made available, if possible, adjacent to Capitol Street.
• The number of demonstrators for children is being expanded to four on each of the two blocks.
• There will be overhead lights in each of the long tents. Individual electricity will continue to be provided wherever possible.
• Security will be enhanced, but all artisans who leave goods overnight do so at their own risk. Fair hours are being adjusted to allow artisans to remove their goods Saturday night and bring them back Sunday morning.
• Artisans will be limited to a total of two spaces (20’ frontage).
• Application fees have been raised due to increased costs per space. Note that FestivALL does not take a commission on sales.
Allied Artists and Tamarack continue to be partners in the production of the Art Fair and each have identified tents for artisans juried into their organizations. Allied Artists and Tamarack artisans will be juried for the Art Fair through the same process as all other applicants.
Ron DeWitt, Tamarack Artisan Services Director, is serving as the Chair of the Selections Committee, and all applications will be sent directly to him. The Committee includes two representatives each from Allied Artists, Tamarack, and unaffiliated artists. I also sit on this Committee. None of the Committee members will be exhibiting at the Fair.
We encourage you to apply by the early deadline in order to benefit from the reduced fees. All applications will be juried at the same time, on March 12 and 13, 2009. All checks will be held uncashed until after the jurying process. If your application is not accepted then your check will be returned. Notifications will be mailed out by April 3, 2009.
If you are interested in participating in this Fair, please submit the application form, a check for the appropriate fee, and five photos or a CD with five images for each separate medium. Please use postal tracking in sending your application and keep a copy of your verification of delivery.
This letter and the application and background materials are posted on the FestivALL web site, www.festivallcharleston.com, This packet is also available by email or postal mail upon request. The web site will also have information about the other events for the 2009 FestivALL as updates become available.
Please feel free to contact me with any questions at:
FestivALL Capitol Street Art Fair,
PO Box 234,
Duck, WV 25063
FestivALL Capitol Street Art Fair