December 07, 2006

play dates

Maybe it's that time of my life but it seems all of my new friends in LA have babies and attend Mommy & Me classes which brings to mind the thought of creating play dates.

Julia Cameron talks a great deal about scheduling time for a weekly artist date but I have never been able to work that in on a regular, weekly basis. Part of being an artist, for me, has been that my weeks are never, in any way, predictable. Plus I spend so much time alone already - doing only what I want to do that the thought of creating yet another day of "me" time seems ludicrous.

And now all those new Mom friends I just made are cursing me as they read.

But the idea of creating an occassional play date seems like something I can get behind. A day that is purely about play, fun and excitement. It's not to inspire my inner artist - it is simply to go and have a good time.

And we all know that leads to inspiration whether we're searching for it or not.

TODAY'S CREATIVITY CHALLENGE:

Set up a play date for yourself. Maybe it's tickets to a show. Maybe it's a jog by the beach. Maybe it's riding a Merry-Go-Round. Maybe it's a massage.

Make the date and keep it.

No comments:

Post a Comment